Hovingham
The Village

About Hovingham
Home
Hovingham Village
Scackleton Village
The Ancient Parish
Map
Newsletter
HandS On Business & Social Facilities Directory
Clubs, Groups & Societies
The Church
Methodist Chapel
The Cemetery
Hovingham Hall
The Spa
The Village Hall
The School
The Cricket Club
The Parish Council
Photos
Car Boot Sales
Open Gardens
Family History
Weather
Events


Contact

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868

"HOVINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 7 miles WNW of New Malton. It is a station on the Thirsk, Malton, and Driffield section of the North-Eastern railway. The parish is of large extent, containing Coulton, Scackleton, and six other townships. The village, formerly a market town, is situated in the vale of Ryedale. The surface is generally hilly and wooded. There are three mineral springs, yielding respectively sulphurous, chalybeate, and clear water, near which a Roman bath, tesselated pavement, hypocaust, and coins of Antonine, &c., were found in 1745. On the side of an adjoining hill is a breastwork supposed to be of Roman construction. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £101. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a school with a small endowment. The charities produce £17 per annum. Hovingham Hall, formerly a seat of the Mowbrays, is the principal residence."


"The Post Office"
has occupied various sites over the years. This shows it in 1919

 

 

 



Park Street


 

 

 

 

 
Hovingham Station c1905


These postcard photographs are from a collection belonging to Ronald Caisley of Norton, Malton. Ron has collected postcards from all over Ryedale for some years and has put some of his collection together in a book "Ryedale and Villages."

A few copies of this book are still available. Please contact the webmaster for details


The Malt Shovel Inn, 1905


Brookside


and now.....

Hovingham and Scackleton
Community Plan

 


site designed by
 
©2012 Mintwood